Definition: A sentence fragment is a piece of a sentence; it is a group of words that is broken off from a complete sentence. A sentence fragment cannot do the work of a complete sentence because the fragment lacks an independent subject + verb combination.
In Japan, during the last war and just before the armistice.
Working far into the night in an effort to salvage her little boat.
Some of the students working in Professor Espinoza's laboratory last semester.
Even though he had the better arguments and was by far the more powerful speaker.
How to Fix Fragment Sentences
1. Combine: Attach the sentence fragment to the sentence that comes before or after the fragment. Often, all that is needed to fix a fragment is to completely remove the punctuation from the sentence and rewrite the sentence into an existing one.
2. Add a verb: If you have determined that the sentence is a fragment because it is missing a verb, simply add one to make a complete sentence.
3. Add a subject: If you have determined that the sentence is a fragment because it is missing a subject, simply add one of those to make a complete sentence.
4. Fix the punctuation: Many times, a sentence is a fragment because the punctuation is in the wrong place or the wrong punctuation has been used. Grab your grammar book and check your use of commas, semi-colons and periods. Then rewrite the sentence as needed.
5. Proofread: Don’t trust your word processor to pick up every sentence fragment. They typically only pick up about half of them.